Obituary: Louis T. Wiss
November 6, 1860 - January 24, 1908

The Newark Evening News, Friday, January 24, 1908
Page 1

Louis T. Wiss Dies Suddenly

Apoplexy Carries Off, Almost Instantly, Member of Well-known Jewelry Firm.


Louis T. Wiss, a member of the jewelry firm of J. Wiss & Sons, and vice-president of the New Jersey Automobile and Motor Club, died suddenly in the private garage of Asher Lambert, in the rear of the latter's home at Clinton and Johnson avenues, shortly after 8 o'clock this morning of apoplexy. He had just left his home, at 83 Johnson avenue, only a block away, to go to his place of business, in Broad street. He became weak on his way to the car and entered the garage. The only person present when he died was Grover Hankins, chauffeur, employed by Mr. Lambert.

When Mr. Wiss entered the garage he told the chauffeur that he was not feeling well and held his right hand over his heart, as though in pain. After inquiring about the make of a new car that Mr. Lambert had bought, he walked toward the rear of the machine to inspect it, and, without speaking, sank to the floor dead. Hankins lifted the body to a chair and notified Mrs. Lambert, who telephoned for Dr. Summer Shafler and sent her boy to tell Mrs. Wiss that her husband had been taken ill. When the physician arrived he declared Mr. Wiss beyond human aid, and County Physician Elliott was notified. After the latter had viewed the body it was removed to the Wiss home.

Although Mr. Wiss had been under a physician's care for more than a month, his illness never kept him from his business and last night he attended with his wife a surprise party tendered to his brother, Frederick C.J. Wiss, of 171 Fairmount avenue, in honor of the latter fiftieth birthday. Many friends of the family were present and Louis Wiss seemed the most jovial of all. He did not complain to any one of not feeling well during the evening, and when the party broke up shortly after 12 o'clock he and Mrs. Wiss returned home in their automobile after taking Louie Hannoch, who was a guest at the anniversary party, to his home in Elizabeth avenue.

Prior to going to his brother's home, Mr. Wiss had attended the distribution of prizes at the Automobile Club and appeared to be in the best of health. Besides his wife and brother, Mr. Wiss leaves two children, a boy and a girl, aged twelve and fourteen years, respectively.

Mr. Wiss was born in this city in 1860 and was educated in the public schools. He graduated from the High School with the class of 1866, and at once became connected with the business of his father, Jacob Wiss. Later he was taken in as a member of the firm, and when the J. Wiss & Sons' Company was formed a few years ago he became its secretary. He had been connected with the Automobile Club since its organization and had been its vice-president for several terms. In the automobile world he was well known, and had always taken an active part in any work that would advance the interest of the sport.

The funeral will be held Monday afternoon from Mr. Wiss's late residence. Interment will be in Fairmount Cemetery.