Wiss Co. Publishes Book to
Mark Plant's 100th Year
J. Wiss & Sons Co, has published a book, "The Story of Shears and scissors," in commemoration of the founding of the Newark scissors plant 100 years ago. The book is believed to be the first published in the English lan- guage concerned exclusively with the history and development of scissors and shears. Representing considerable research, it contains 40 illustratios of two-bladed cut- ting instruments, dating from the third century B.C. to the present. The history of the Wiss firm is traced in the book from its found- ing in 1847 by Jacob Wiss, a Swiss cutler and gunsmith. The original shop was in Bank street where the Prudential Insurance Co. building stands. Direct descendants of Jacob Wiss still conduct the cutlery plant in Littleton avenue and the Wiss jewelry store in Broad street. A plaque commemorating the company's 100th anniversary will be presented by employees today in ceremonies at the Littleton avenue plant.